PARTNERS FOR SAFE TEEN DRIVING
The state of Virginia requires all 10th grade students and their parent/guardian to attend a 90-minute traffic safety program as part of the classroom driver education instruction. This requirement began in the 2010-2011 school year and must be met before a student will receive a Driver Education Certificate of Completion (DEC-1 card).
The dates for the program offered at Madison HS for the 2019-20 school year are:
- October 7 - Auditorium
- November 20 - Auditorium
- February 4 - Auditorium
- April 14 - Warhawk Hall
All programs will start at 7:00 p.m. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and close promptly at 7:00. Once the doors are shut, no one will be admitted. If you are unable to attend any of these, additional program dates and locations can be found by searching online at ACE Continuing education.
You are strongly encouraged to mark your calendar now and plan to attend. You may attend any session -- preferably before or during the quarter your child has their classroom driver education instruction. If you have any questions, please contact Derrick Rauenzahn at 703-319-2493.
Procedures to fulfill the requirements of the new law:
- Student must attend with their parent/guardian.
- Parent/guardian is required to show valid driver’s license or state issued identification number.
- Attendance for FULL 90 minutes is required.
- Proper completion of the registration form required (received at the session).
- Program must be completed during the year student is enrolled in Grade 10 HPE.
- No fees are charged to FCPS students currently enrolled in Grade 10 HPE.
Note: This is a requirement for current FCPS students to see with a parent before they can complete the Behind the Wheel training. You can go to it for free during the school year you are enrolled in Grade 10 HPE (either online or the standard Grade 10 HPE class). Most 11th/12th grade students went to this when they took Drivers ed and do not need to go again. If an 11th/12th grade student has not attended this presentation, they should sign up in advance to expedite the processing of their payment. 9th graders that are turning 15½ soon should wait until they are enrolled in HPE 10 before attending a seminar.
Requirements for obtaining a driver’s license in Virginia:
- Apply for a learner's permit at a local DMV office once you are at least 15 years and 6 months old.
- Pass the sign, knowledge and vision tests at the DMV. Here is the link to the Driver's Ed manual for you to study.
- Complete a state-approved driver's education program. Steps 1 & 2 can be done before or after getting a permit (except for behind-the-wheel part which must be done after, or in conjunction with, the classroom part).
- 36 hours of classroom instruction
- Attend a 90 minute partners for safe teen driver class
- Obtain a Driver Education Certificate of Completion (DEC-1 card) after completing 14 hours of behind the wheel
- Log 45 hours of driving practice with a parent or guardian. 15 hours must be at night.
- Hold a learner's permit for at least nine months.
- Pass the driver road test (usually done in the behind-the wheel class near the end of the 9 months, but can be done earlier or later than that), which earns the driver a provisional license. If they have held their permit for 9 months, then they receive a paper copy; if not, they get it later.
- Receive a driver's license at the licensing ceremony.
Note: This is a requirement for current FCPS 10th and 11th grade students. Most 11th/12th grade students went to this when they took driver’s ed and do not need to go again. 11th/12th grade students that did not see it last year need to sign up in advance to attend.
To register by phone, please call 703-658-1201. Follow us on Twitter: @ACE_Driver_Ed