Virginia Summer Residential Governor's School (SRGS)
Governor’s School is a challenging and enriching Virginia program designed for highly motivated students who are looking for a challenging summer experience. Programs are offered in Visual and Performing Arts (VPA), Humanities, Math/Science/Technology, Agriculture, Medicine and Health Sciences, and Mentorships in Engineering and Marine Sciences. The selection process is extremely competitive. Most students selected rank in the top 10% of their class and have scored in the 90th percentile on standardized measures of ability or achievement tests. These residential programs run from late June to late July. Only students who are available during that time frame and whose records match these criteria should apply.
If interested in attending Governor's School, please complete the steps below in order.
1. Initial Application Process: Obtain the initial application packet from the SRGS School Coordinators, Ms. Oakley or Ms. Buckley. Initial applications must be complete and submitted by November 1, 2018. No late submissions will be accepted.
1A. By November 1, complete the Student Contact Information Form to declare your interest in the 2019 Summer Residential Governor's School. You must complete all sections of the form because the form establishes your contact details for your high school governor's school representative and provides district level communication to both you and your designated school contact to allow for an efficient application process.
1B. Complete Activities Page (page 2 of the Governor's School application): Applications are available at the Virginia Department of Education website for the following programs:
- Marine Science
- Mathematics, Science, and Technology
- Medicine and Health Sciences
- Visual and Performing Arts
1C. Complete the Teacher Signature Page, which is located in the initial application packet.
After completing the Student Contact Form, Activities Page, and Teacher Signature Page, please submit the completed packet to Ms. Oakley or Ms. Buckley by November 1, 2018.
2. By November 9, SRGS School Coordinators will notify students via email if they will continue in the application process.
3. If selected to continue in the application process, fill out the appropriate program application. Each program application can be found at the Virginia Department of Education website. This fillable application form needs to be filled out, printed, and delivered to Ms. Oakley or Ms. Buckley by the appropriate date:
- Academics and Mentorships Applications: by December 12, 2018
- Visual and Performing Arts Applications: by January 25, 2019
- NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY PROGRAM.
4. Letters of Recommendation: SRGS School Coordinators will assist students in requesting recommendation letters based on the teachers chosen by the applicants.
When choosing references, it is advisable to choose people who have a positive vision of your skills and strengths. It is an honor to get asked to write a letter of recommendation for a student; however, at certain times of the year, teachers may be very busy. When you follow up with your recommendations, be respectful of their time and ensure that you ask the teachers well in advance of the due date. Letters of recommendation should not be handwritten or scored by hand. The teachers will be responsible for submitting them to your school level governor's school contact.