Address Changes/Updates

In order to update your address in our system, please do the following:

Step 1

Confirm that your address is in the Madison Boundary using the FCPS Boundary Locator. The enrolling parent of the student must reside within the Madison boundary.

Step 2

Gather the proof of address documentation depending on which option (1 or 2) best applies to you.

Option 1: Parents who reside with their child in a property that they own or rent generally should provide ONE of the following documents:

  • Deed of house
  • Lease agreement in parent's name signed by rental management office
  • A resident manager's letter with company letterhead stating residence of parent    

Option 2: Parents who live with the child in a residence of someone else need to provide ALL of the following:

  • FCPS Leaseholder or Homeowner Affidavit - The homeowner or leaseholder of residence where parent/child are residing must provide a notarized affidavit accompanied by the lease or deed. (The homeowner or leaseholder will not need to be present at the registration appointment.)
  • FCPS Residency Affidavit - The parent of the enrolling student must also provide a notarized affidavit stating his/her residence. 
  • Three official supporting documents as evidence of non-temporary residence. Acceptable documentation include:
    • Employment - current payroll stub or current employer verification on company letterhead
    • Car - Virginia driver’s license, car registration, car insurance policy or bill, or Commonwealth of Virginia identification card
    • Utilities - bills from cell phone, Internet, gas, water, electricity, cable, or telephone
    • Taxes - current income tax form 1099, withholding form W-2
    • Other - bank statements, Department of Family Services, medical bills, Housing Choice Voucher, U.S. government issued document or other county or agency correspondence

Step 3

Complete the Student Registration Form (an update for our files).

Step 4

Email completed Student Registration Form and your proof of residency (as outlined above) to our registrar, Ms. Milan at [email protected].

Physical presence of the parent in the residence of the child is required for enrollment in FCPS. If a parent initially enrolls the student, but then leaves Fairfax County, a change in enrollment status may be necessary.

Experiencing Homelessness: If students are experiencing homelessness, parents or legal guardians may contact the Homeless Liaison Office at 571-423-4332 or refer to Information for Homeless Families for additional contacts and resources. In addition, any neighborhood school can provide enrollment assistance.