Attendance Procedures and Policies
Procedures and policies regarding student attendance
How to Report an All Day Absence
- Parents need to call 703-319-2319 OR
- Email @email OR
- Submit our online attendance form
Parents are encouraged to monitor their child(ren)’s attendance in their ParentVue account. Parents can log into the Student Information System (SIS) Parent Account to view your child's attendance. For additional support with accessing and using the SIS Parent Account visit our SIS Parent Account overview page
Partial Day/Period Absences
Students arriving late after 8:10 AM will be marked unexcused tardy.
- Parents may use our online attendance form or call the attendance line 703-319-2319 to report a partial day absence.
- Students must have a handwritten note from a parent or doctor.
- If a student does not have a note, he/she will be marked "unexcused tardy" and must present a note to the Attendance Office within 48 hours for the tardy to be changed to excused.
- In the note, please include the student name, time the student is coming to school, the reason for the tardy, a parent/guardian signature, the student ID, and contact phone number for follow-up.
- Valid tardiness reasons include medical/dental appointments, illness or family emergency
- The following will not be excused: oversleeping, power outages, car trouble, traffic, and missing the bus. Students will be given a pass to enter their assigned class after checking in at the Attendance office.
One of our attendance staff will contact you if they need additional information.
Please let the Attendance Office know if you need your student to leave school early. If the following options are not followed, we cannot guarantee a speedy checkout, so please make sure you notify the attendance office prior to picking up your son/daughter to ensure you make your appointment or commitment on time. Due to staff responsibilities at the end of the day, we are not able to honor unannounced early dismissals within 30 minutes of school dismissal.
You can check out your child 3 different ways:
- Student brings a note to the Attendance Office before 9:45am. The student will be issued a check-out pass to leave class at the appointed time. The note must include the following - student name, date and time of when student is leaving, and reason for early check-out, student ID, parent signature and contact number. Please note: Teachers will NOT allow students to leave class without this pass or confirmation from the attendance office.
- Call the attendance line, 703-319-2319 BEFORE 12:00 pm. After leaving a message, please have your student pick up their checkout pass from the Attendance Office between classes or during lunch.
- Come into the attendance office to check your student out.
If returning to school that same day, students must check in at the Attendance office before going back to class, even if it is between classes.
Pre-Arranged or Extended Absences
- Pre-Arranged Absences require five days written notice. Students should submit form se289 or a parent note to the Attendance Office. Please include the student’s name, dates of absences and reason for the absence.
- Extended Absences should be coordinated through the child’s school counselor.
Chronic Absenteeism and VDOE
- Students who attend 90% or more of the school year are more likely to graduate from high school on time. Parents/guardians will receive communication when a student is chronically absent more than 10%. Chronic absences include excused and unexcused full-day absences. For more information on encouraging school attendance in high school, visit the FCPS website.
- If a student accumulates 7 or more unexcused all-day absences, the school will initiate a conference with the School Attendance Officer to develop a plan for addressing attendance concerns.
- When a student accrues 20 full-day absences, excused or unexcused, parents must provide a doctor’s note for future absences of more than three days, indicating that your child has been evaluated and or treated for a specific medical concern.
Attendance Office Staff
- Administrative Assistant I
- Office Assistant