Information on student parking and permits
Payment for Parking Permits
1.Parking permits may be purchased with a credit card using the online payment system at www.myschoolbucks.com. If you pay with a credit card, you are required to print a copy of your receipt as part of your paperwork packet to purchase a permit.
2. Check payable to JMHS.
- Seniors are given first priority for student parking; juniors are considered second. The James Madison administrative staff reserves the right to deny parking on campus to any student at any time. Seniors who wish to park on school grounds must purchase a parking permit for $200.00 and will be required to complete the Student Parking Application. See the Security staff with questions.
- Seniors will be able to pick up or purchase parking permits at the Fall Kickoff on Friday, August 24, 2018 and during lunches the first three days of school.
- To receive a parking permit-
- Complete the on line Parking Application
- Present a valid drivers' license to be verified by the Security Office
- Present vehicle registration to be verified by the Security Office
- Present payment. If you paid online, you will need to provide a copy of your receipt to be kept on file at the Security Office. If you do not bring a copy of your receipt for online payment, you will not be issued a parking permit.
- To receive a parking permit-
- Seniors that have unresolved school obligations will not be issued a parking permit unless those obligations have been adjudicated. Seniors that have been disciplined for being off campus will not be eligible for a parking permit.
- Juniors can apply for a parking permit on Thursday, August 30, and Friday, August 31. Juniors must complete the parking application and print and complete the Junior Participation Form. The completed Junior Participation Form can be turned in on Thursday, August 30, and Friday, August 31 in the cafeteria. The Junior Participation form can be found here.
- The Junior Participation Form is required for all Junior students requesting a parking permit. The Junior Participation Form must be signed by the student in front of security personnel when submitted. Juniors must also present their drivers' license and a current vehicle registration when turning in the Junior Participation Form. The Security Office suggests that juniors requesting a parking permit complete the Junior Participation Form quickly (staff signatures required), as it will speed the process of purchasing a parking permit. Parking permits will be issued when the completed online application along with Junior Participation Form have been evaluated. The number of available parking permits for Juniors depends on the amount of parking permits left unsold after the Seniors have purchased their permits. The Junior Participation Form is evaluated when the number of Junior students requesting a parking permit supersedes the number of parking permits available.
- Juniors, who are to receive a parking permit, will be notified (posted outside the Security Office) on Friday, August 31 to bring the $200.00 permit fee to the Cafe during lunches on Tuesday, September 4 and Wednesday, September 5. The Security Office will sell any remaining asphalt parking spaces first, and then sell the gravel lot spaces second. Those juniors assigned to the gravel lot will only be allowed to park in the gravel lot during the school day (students with asphalt lot permits will not be allowed to park in the gravel lot).Juniors MUST present their driver's license and a current vehicle registration when purchasing a parking permit.
- Any Junior that has unresolved school obligations will not be issued a parking permit unless those obligations have been adjudicated. Juniors that have been disciplined for being off campus will not be eligible for a parking permit.
Student parking on James Madison High School property will be by Permit Only beginning Thursday, September 6, 2018.
Please Note: Students will not be an assigned individual parking space. All student parking lots (asphalt and gravel) will be open every day to all permit holders on a first-come, first-served basis—except in spaces marked with a “T”, visitor spaces, and handicapped spaces. The “T” marked spaces are for staff. Students parking in those spaces will be tickets, booted or towed.
Students without a parking permit or students who park improperly, will be ticketed, booted or towed based on the parking violation. Fines start at $25.00. Parking is strictly enforced on JMHS property.
All Student issued a parking 2018/2019 permit must be displayed in clear view (facing outward) from the rear view mirror at all times while parked on school property. Failure to display your permit will result in a $10.00 ticket. If a student has a parking problem, he or she must notify the Security Office immediately.
Once students arrive at school, they must promptly enter the building and cannot return to their vehicles until their school day is complete without a pass from security or an administrator. Students are expected to obey all traffic laws and to drive in a safe and courteous manner at all times when on, or near, school property. Students who drive in violation of the law or in an unsafe manner may lose their parking privileges. There are no refunds of parking fees.
The replacement fee for a lost/stolen/damaged parking permit is $10.00.
Students who leave school grounds in violation of school rules, DRIVING OR NOT, WILL LOSE THEIR PARKING PERMIT FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND, AND IF YOU ARE AN UNDERCLASSMAN, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR A PARKING PERMIT THE FOLLOWING YEAR.
If there are any parking questions, please contact the Security Office at 703-319-2341. The Security Office is closed during the summer months, spring break, and winter break.