Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Student Services & Post-Secondary Planning News Upcoming Dates
February 7: U.S. Service Academy/ROTC Night, 7:00pm @Oakton HS
February 8: Army in the JMHS Cafe during all lunches
February 13-16: Instruction 2 Industry, A Career Expo for High School Students. Details and register here.
February 14: Marines in the JMHS Cafe during all lunches
February 15: Navy in the JMHS Cafe during all lunches
February 15: College Access Fairfax, FAFSA or VASA Completion Workshop,5:00-7:30pm @Herndon HS
February 16: College Access Fairfax, FAFSA or VASA Completion Workshop, 4:00-8:00pm @Annandale HS
February 22: NOVA Virtual Information Session for Seniors & Parents/Guardians @6:30pm. Details and register here.
March 4: Veterinary Medicine Careers Exploration (Virtual Event), 10am-12pm
March 10: Registration deadline for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) @JMHS on 3/21/23. Students register here.
March 13: College Planning Night For Sophomore and Parents/Guardians, 6:30pn @JMHS Auditorium
March 18: College Access Fairfax, Paying for College, the Financial Aid Process for Underclassmen (Virtual) Event, 10:00am-11:30am
March 20: College Planning Night Part II for Juniors and Parents/Guardians, 7:00pm @JMHS Auditorium
March 21: Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) @JMHS, Students register here by 3/10/23
April 4: Northern Virginia Regional College Fair @EagleBank Arena, 6:30-8:30pmAcademic Advising/Course Selection for 2023-24
Counselors will meet with current Madison students for Academic Advising from January 30-March 13, 2023.
- 9th Grade (Rising Sophomores): February 28-March 13
- 10th Grade (Rising Juniors): January 30-February 8
- 11th Grade (Rising Seniors): February 9-February 27
Academy course requests must be submitted no later than Tuesday, March 7 to be considered on-time for consideration. Students should use the Academy Registration Request form to make their request. (FCPS student account login required.) Details on Academy offerings are here.
All course requests must be finalized by Friday, March 17; any changes requested after March 17 will be made on a space available basis. Students planning to take a summer class or online campus class must also register by March 17 to guarantee enrollment in the substitute course for the 2023-24 school year.
Students and families should access the JMHS Academic Advising Google Site for resources on curriculum, graduation requirements, summer school information, dual enrollment and more.Instruction 2 Industry, A Virtual Career Expo for High School Students
During the week of February 13-16, 2023, the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce and school divisions across the region, are hosting a Career Fair with panel discussions. Industry experts, in multiple fields, will be speaking on their professional journeys and providing valuable insight into how to achieve your own success. A virtual, but live, event, Instruction 2 Industry, is free to all Northern Virginia high school students.
- 2/13 Session Topics: Architecture, Construction & Energy | Education & Training | Health Sciences
- 2/14 Session Topics: Business, Finance, & Marketing | Government, Public Administration & Law | Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- 2/15 Session Topics: Arts, A/V Technology & Communication | Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics | Information Technology | Tourism, Hospitality & Recreation
- 2/16 Event: Career Fair Exhibitor & Information Session Breakout Rooms
The Color of Justice is an annual program designed to expose high school students to the legal profession while encouraging diversity participation in the law. This program is open to all high school students.
The Hispanic Bar Association of Virginia will be hosting the event this year at the Fairfax Courthouse (4110 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030) on Saturday, March 25, from 9:30 AM to 2:00 PM (COVID permitting). There is also an optional essay contest; entry into the essay contest is not required for the participation in the Color of Justice Program but if a student participates in the essay contest, they are eligible to win a prize.
Registration Packet and Details here.Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
The ASVAB will be given at Madison High School on March 21, 2023. Students must register by March 10, 2023.
The ASVAB is required for military enlistment, but is also a career exploration program that includes an aptitude test and interest assessment to help guide you with careers and jobs that might be of interest to you.
There is no fee to take this test. The test takes about 3 hours. Online, free ASVAB testing information is available at www.asvabprogram.com
Students should register here.Coalition for College Spring Series of Events
Building and Refining Your College List | 2/16/23 | 8:00pm-9:00pm
- Road to Senior Year | 3/8/23 | 8:00-9:00pm
- Decoding Your Financial Aid Letter | 3/28/23 | 8:00-9:00pm
- Ask Us Anything About Admissions | 4/4/23 | 8:00-9:00pm
- Decoding the Admissions Process | 4/12/23 | 8:00-9:00pm
Sessions descriptions and register here.Enrichment Opportunities Recently Updated in Naviance
Naviance > Colleges > Scholarships & Money > Scholarship List
- Aspiring Scientist Summer Internship Program (ASSIP): Deadline Feb. 5, 2023. Event date June 20 – Aug. 10, 2023
- National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp): Deadline Feb. 28, 2023. Event date Virtual June 19-23, 2023 and In person: June 24-July 23, 2023
- Pre-College Scholars Summer Changemaker track. Deadline March 14, 2023. Event date June 18-20, 2023
- Hispanic College Institute. Deadline April 1, 2023. Event date July 20-23, 2023
- College Orientation Workshop (COW): Deadline April 30, 2023. Event date June 25-July 22, 2023
- Latinx Leadership Academy: Deadline April 30, 2023. Event date June 22-24, 2023
- Arabic Summer Language Institute: Deadline May 15, 2023. Event date Session 1: June 1-30, 2023, Session 2: July 5-Aug. 2, 2023
- Scripps Howard Emerging Journalists Program at Elon: Event date June 19-30, 2023
- Health and Biomedical Sciences Summer Camp: Event date July 24-29, 2023
- Columbia Climate School in the Green Mountains: See website for event dates
Naviance > Colleges > Scholarships & Money > Scholarship List
- Lenny Schultz Memorial Scholarship due 4/12/23
Local Scholarships | FCPS Facilitated Scholarships
- College Access Fairfax Scholarships due 2/15/23
- Michell Merhige Scholarship due 2/24/23
- Northern VA Athletic Directors & Coaches Association (NVADACA) due 3/1/23
- W. Harold Ford Teaching Scholarship due 3/1/23
- Ronald Reagan Leadership Medal Self-Nomination Form due 3/1/23
- Granville P. Meade Scholarship due 3/3/23
- The Long Nguyen and Kimmy Duong Scholarship Program due 3/5/23
- Apple Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Northwest Federal Credit Union Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Bull Run Civil War Round Table (BRCWRT) Scholarship due 4/3/23
- William J. Foreman Memorial Scholarship due 4/7/23
- Belong Scholarship Fund due 4/14/23
- National Council of Negro Women Scholarship due 2/4/23
- Jimmy Rane Foundation Scholarship due 2/6/23
- Leslie Richardson Memorial Swan & Sparrow Scholarship Fund due 2/20/23
- Team DC Student Athlete Scholarship due 2/24/23
- AMS Scholarship for Underserved Communities due 2/24/23
- AFCEA Washington DC Chapter Scholarship due 3/5/23
- American Association of Blacks in Energy due 3/10/23
- AMS Opportunity Scholarship Fund due 3/15/23
- Ashworth Grogan Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Bentley Family Scholarship Fund due 3/15/23
- Charles Homer Barton Scholarship Fund due 3/15/23
- Elizabeth Koury Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Northern Virginia First Responders Scholarship Fund due 3/15/23
- NVTC Foundation Kilberg Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Rose Koury Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Vance International Scholarship due 3/15/23
- Booz Allen Hamilton Vision Scholarship due 3/29/23
- Generation Hope due 4/1/23, priority deadline 2/1/23
- Men’s College Scholarship due 4/3/23
- STEM Stars Actuarial Scholars Program due 4/11/23
- Organization of Latino Actuaries Scholarship due 4/16/23
- Actuarial Diversity Scholarship due 6/2/23
- Huth Scholarship due 6/15/23
Disclaimer: Advertisement of these opportunities does not constitute sponsorship or endorsement of the sponsoring organization or the enrichment opportunity by the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent, or a specific FCPS school. This opportunity may utilize a technology tool that has not been assessed by the Fairfax County Public Schools Department of Information Technology. Students should gain permission from their parent or guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity and families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for any technology platform that any enrichment opportunity may use before participating.